Creation of governing body at institution
Constitute a Steering Committee for Clean Green Pakistan in each University (including Vice Chancellor, 2-3 Professors and President of Clean Green Scouts/ Champion at University).
Guidelines for Colleges- Clean Green Pakistan
Specific Activities for Five Pillars of Clean Green Pakistan Movement
- Organizing seed throwing campaigns in adjacent forest area in each sowing season (autumn and spring).
- Annual tree plantation ceremony with the theme of planting one plant by one student in university area and nearby public places.
- Research in agriculture universities for the discovery of more efficient inhabitant species (with maximum oxygen output and speedy growth) for local environment.
Solid Waste Management
- Organize two annual cleanliness weeks in local government identified areas.
- Massive awareness campaigns by Clean Green Scouts/ Champions in public places like hospitals, bus stands, markets etc for C&GPM .
- Introduce waste segregation and recycling of university solid waste in the hostels and campuses. Discourage the use of unnecessary waste through promoting the use of recycling materials and products.
- Allocate and mark land fill site for university’s solid waste, contracting with local Government or private sector for effective utilization of recycled waste and arrangements for appropriate disposal of non-recyclable waste.
- Generate at least one annual publication on business model of solid waste-following the 3 R principles (Reduce, Recycle and Reuse).
Liquid Waste Management & Hygiene
- Organize hand washing days with support of private sector in adjacent communities and schools.
- Discourage the use of open drains for toilets and waste drainage except for storm water.
- Create wastewater treatment plant for university’s wastewater with objectives of introducing low cost solutions through providing maximum exposure to air, sunlight and inventing locally manufactured affordable chemical treatment compounds. It can be wet lands and small treatment units. The output of the wastewater treatment plants shall be linked with testing the quality of treated water to find if it is within the permissible limited of WHO/ National Standards (Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) and Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD).
- Generate at least one annual publication on successful economic model of wastewater treatment plant.
- Facilitate service delivery departments designing and installing cost effective solutions for wastewater treatment.
- Celebrate toilet days in high risk communities (identified by Local Governments).
- At least one annual publication on economic and viable models of septic tanks.
- Implement PATS approach for 500 open defecating households annually and generating evidence base research publications on PATS.
- Make all toilets and hand washing facilities of university functional.
Safe Drinking Water
- Install water filtration system on all drinking water sources of university with safe drinking water quality as per water quality test.
- Celebrate water days in high risk communities (identified by Local Governments).
- Create awareness among the communities about water treatment options at household levels and water safety.
- Promote the judicious use of drinking water and discourage the unnecessary use of drinking water for car wash, streets etc.
- Generate at least one annual publication on economic methods of water filtration.