Focusing on mental health during COVID-19 outbreak:
The outbreak of COVID-19 has become a cause of psychological stress for the whole population. At a time of such global crisis, the following aspects should be kept in mind to ensure the mental well-being of yourself and others:
- Minimize reading, watching, and listening to the news regarding the pandemic. Make sure the news you are believing is authentic and from relevant resources.
- Extend support to others and be compassionate. Regularly call your family, friends, and acquaintance to inquire about their well-being.
- Work together as a community to create solidarity. Offer financial aid, if possible, to the workers who have lost their jobs/ ran out of business.
- Spread positive and hopeful stories of people who have recovered or have helped others to recover from the disease.
- Stay connected with others using social media. However, do not cause panic using unconfirmed news.
- Trust and appreciate your healthcare workers and informal staff.
- Form a healthy routine and schedule. Do not overindulge on the internet rather spend time in activities which increase learning and boost mental health such as doing household chores, working out, meditation, reading books, doing crosswords, etc.
- Engaging in healthy conversations with your friends and family regarding feeling overwhelmed due to the pandemic can help reduce stress.
- Eat a balanced diet and get adequate hours of sleep.
- Help the children in your express their emotions in a positive way. Since they cannot be allowed to go out, create activities inside homes which will also boost their learning.
- Acknowledge that feelings of distress, anger, and annoyance are natural during such a time. However, these feelings can be converted to achieve something positive.
- Contact a specialist immediately if you start becoming paranoid and anxious. Umang offers free mental health helpline 24/7 (http://umang.com.pk/contact-us).
- Realize that it is a difficult time for everyone. Keeping positive thoughts, taking necessary care, and extending support to others are necessary measures to create a healthy surrounding.